Why Manchester United need Man City to win the FA Cup to help stay away from bad dream situation
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will be hoping Manchester City beat Watford in the FA Cup final in May to prevent a potential Europa League qualification game in July.
United are still in sixth, three points behind Chelsea in fourth and five points behind Spurs in third with two games of the current campaign left to play.
While finishing in the top four isn’t mathematically impossible it is looking very unlikely which means the potential of Europa League football next season.
Should United finish fifth they would go straight into the group stage of the competition, however, if they finish sixth there’s a possibility they would have to play in the second qualifying round and the first leg of that would be played on July 25 which clashes with United’s pre-season friendly game against Tottenham in Shanghai.
Manchester United vs Chelsea reaction
- Ratings: Manchester United player ratings: Juan Mata good but David de Gea poor
- Report: David de Gea is to blame but got what he deserved from Manchester United fans
- Injuries: Manchester United give Eric Bailly and Marcus Rashford injury updates
- De Gea: Man United manager Solskjaer sends David de Gea a message after latest mistake
- News: Mata sends De Gea message of support after Man United mistake
- Highlights: Manchester United vs Chelsea highlights
- News: Wenger explains why David de Gea is struggling at Manchester United
- Fans: Man Utd fans make Romero suggestion after latest De Gea mistake
As City won the League Cup and have secured Champions League qualification for next season their place in the Europa League second qualifying round which they get for winning the Carabao Cup will go to the next highest ranked team ie. the team in the sixth which at this moment is United.
However, if City win the FA Cup against Watford on May 18 their place in the Europa League group stage would go to United which would mean no need for qualification for United.
So Solskjaer will be hoping Pep Guardiola can do him a favour at Wembley or there may have to be a hasty rearranging of the pre-season tour.